VimpelCom enters Laos via Millicom acquisition – Mobile World Live

VimpelCom enters Laos via Millicom acquisition

19 OCT 2009

Millicom has sold a 78 percent stake in its Laos mobile network (‘Millicom Lao Co.’) to Russia’s VimpelCom for US$66 million. The purchase price represents an enterprise value of US$102 million with the Lao government retaining the remaining 22 percent. “Laos provides a great complement to our existing operations in Vietnam and Cambodia and fits perfectly into our strategy of building a solid Southeast Asian cluster,” said VimpelCom CEO Boris Nemsic in a statement. He noted that Laos – with a population of 6.5 million and a mobile penetration rate of only 23 percent – represents high-growth potential. The acquisition is subject to regulatory approvals but is expected to close before the end of the year. According to Wireless Intelligence data, the network is the second-largest in Laos and had 279,000 connections by the end of 2Q09.

Luxembourg-based Millicom put its three Asian mobile networks – Laos, Tigo in Sri Lanka and Cambodia’s Cellcard – up for sale in early July. The three networks generated a net profit of US$4 million in the first quarter of the year and revenues of US$68 million, the company said in a statement at the time. The Sri Lankan business has generated particular interest with a number of international operators understood to be preparing bids, including India’s Bharti and BSNL, Japan’s NTT Docomo and Etisalat of the UAE.

 

 

Author

Mobile World Live

Mobile World Live is the online service dedicated to providing the mobile industry with daily news coverage & analysis of the biggest global market developments.

Read more

Related

Tags