Swisscom Archives - Page 5 of 6 - Mobile World Live

Swisscom

Ericsson picks up Swisscom LTE deal

Swisscom signed a five-year contract with Ericsson for a mobile network modernisation and upgrade to LTE.

Swisscoms new unit will target mobile health

Swiss incumbent Swisscom has set up a new unit that will specialise in M2M communications including mobile health applications.

Etisalat appoints new Chief Strategy Officer

UAE operator group Etisalat has announced that Daniel Ritz will be its new Group Chief Strategy Officer as the company aims to strengthen its position at home and in other markets

Switzerland preps next-gen spectrum auctions

Switzerland has confirmed plans to sell-off new mobile spectrum in the first half of next year, a move likely to establish it as only the second country in Europe (after Germany) to auction the 800MHz ‘digital dividend’ band.

Swisscom trumpets LTE pilot

Swisscom is piloting LTE technology in the town of Grenchen, in the canton of Solothurn, with the company stating that “LTE is to be added to the Swisscom mobile network at the earliest in 2011.”

Swisscom backs merger of TDC, France Telecom Swiss units

Dow Jones Newswires reports that Swisscom yesterday said it supports the planned merger of rivals France Telecom’s and TDC AS’s Swiss units, which has been blocked by Swiss competition officials.

Orange confident on Swiss merger, TDC hints at exit strategy

France Telecom says it is confident that its proposed merger of its Orange network in Switzerland with TDC’s Sunrise will be passed by regulators, claiming it will bring fresh competition to the Swiss market – one of the most expensive mobile markets in Europe.

Orange and TDCs Sunrise to merge in Switzerland

France Telecom and Denmark’s TDC are to merge their Swiss mobile networks – Orange Switzerland and Sunrise, respectively – to create a powerful rival to the market leader, Swisscom. France Telecom said it will pay a closing net amount of EUR1.5 billion to TDC to become a 75 percent shareholder in the combined entity, while TDC will hold the remaining 25 percent.

Switzerland linked to Swisscom stake sale

Telecompaper reports that the Swiss government is planning to lower its stake in Swisscom to below 50 percent, according to a proposal by EFD, the Swiss federal finance ministry, and communications regulator Bakom.

Swisscom posts 32% drop in profit

Swisscom today reported a 32 percent decline in net profit for the third quarter partly due to costs related to the launch of the iPhone and the acquisition of Italian telecom Fastweb SpA.