The Palm App Catalog offers consumers the lowest priced apps of all the major app stores whilst BlackBerry App World is at the opposite end of the spectrum, according to the latest research from app store analytic company Distimo.
Across the US in July this year, the average price of all paid applications in the Palm App Catalog was US$2.43. Next up was the Nokia Ovi Store (US$2.68), followed by Google Android Market (US$3.23). BlackBerry App World charged an average US$6.68 for its paid apps. It’s worth noting though that, during the time of the study, BlackBerry App World did not offer any apps below US$2.99. It’s expected that its ranking in this sector will now improve given its decision last month to drop the lowest price point to US$0.99 with the release of BlackBerry App World 2.0.
The research also found that more than 60 percent of applications are priced below or equal to US$2 in the Apple App Store for iPhone (64 percent), Google Android Market (61 percent), Nokia Ovi Store (68 percent) and Palm App Catalog (69 percent). The proportion of applications priced below or equal to US$2 was much lower in the Apple App Store for iPad, BlackBerry App World and Windows Marketplace for Mobile. Interestingly, the proportion of paid applications priced below US$1 on the Apple App Store for iPad and Apple App Store for iPhone decreased in both stores from 30 percent to 25 percent, and from 49 percent to 45 percent, respectively, month-on-month. Other interesting snippets to be drawn from the table below include the fact that BlackBerry App World and Windows Marketplace for Mobile have the highest number of apps priced over US$10.
Highest ranked paid applications:
- Apple App Store for iPad: Apple’s Pages (US$9.99)
- Apple App Store for iPhone: Clickgamer.com’s Angry Birds (US$0.99)
- BlackBerry App World: MMMOOO’s Love Football Love KAKA Animated Edition (US$2.99)
- Google Android Market: LevelUp Studio’s Beautiful Widgets (US$1.82)
- Nokia Ovi Store: Polarbit’s ToonWarz (US$2.99)
- Palm App Catalog: SplashData’s mCraig – Mobile Craigslist Browser (US$1.99)
- Windows Marketplace for Mobile: Manbolo’s Meon (US$2.99)
The full Distimo report can be accessed here.