Report: Orange France preps Android devices - Mobile World Live

Report: Orange France preps Android devices

26 OCT 2009

French website Mobinaute reports that Orange France plans to launch at least six Android handsets this year from five manufacturers: Sony Ericsson, Motorola, LG, Samsung and HTC. The report notes that Orange declared itself happy with the revenue-sharing model of Android’s application store, Android Market, and will heavily promote it. Developers of Android Market applications receive a 70 percent cut of revenue from sold applications, whilst the remaining 30 percent is shared between Android’s owner, Google, and the operators.

All the world’s major handset vendors – with the exception of Nokia – are supporting development of Android-powered handsets. On the operator side, T-Mobile was the first operator to offer Android handsets, launching HTC’s G1 device last October. Vodafone will launch the second Android device – HTC’s Magic – next month. Speculation surrounding Orange’s plans therefore points to growing tier-one operator support for the operating system. At present Android remains only a very minor player in the operating systems space – controlling less than 2 percent – but this looks set to change before the end of this year.

Author

Mobile World Live

Mobile World Live is the online service dedicated to providing the mobile industry with daily news coverage & analysis of the biggest global market developments.

Read more

Related

Tags