Samsung will resume selling the Galaxy Note 7 in South Korea on 28 September, but the company didn’t announce a date for most other markets, including the US, noting the schedule will depend on the circumstances for the individually affected markets, Reuters reported.
The vendor said new sales in Australia will begin early next month. It started issuing replacement devices in South Korea and the UK today, while US replacements will start on 21 September, Reuters said.
The world’s largest smartphone maker issued a recall for the Galaxy Note 7 smartphone in early September in 10 markets, including the US and South Korea, after confirming battery problems caused some devices to explode or catch fire. About a week later it advised consumers to stop using its Galaxy Note 7 and “immediately participate” in a replacement programme, following further reports of phones catching fire.
The company said it has moved to sourcing all batteries for the Galaxy Note 7 from China’s Amperex Technology. The defective batteries, which caught fire during charging and normal use, were manufactured by Samsung SDI, which previously supplied about 70 per cent of the batteries for the Note 7.
With an estimated 2.5 million Galaxy Note 7 units sold, analysts say the recall could cost Samsung as much as $5 billion in revenue. The smartphone was launched on 19 August.
Samsung formally announced the recall of about one million Note 7 devices in the US after the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) on Thursday said users of the Galaxy Note 7 should immediately stop using and power down the devices. CPSC criticised Samsung for trying to initiate a recall on its own instead of following proper reporting procedures, Reuters said.
Earlier this month, nonprofit organisation Consumer Reports said Samsung’s action “was not an official recall, which would have involved the CPSC and would have made it illegal to sell the phones”. This has now changed.